EMCOR Services Betlem (Betlem) was selected by Rochester Museum and Science Center (RMSC) and the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to complete an energy study of the museum’s main campus under NYSERDA’s FlexTech Program. The 13-acre campus includes five primary buildings with a total floor area of 254,490 square feet.
Betlem recommended six energy conservation measures (ECMs). They were strategically coordinated to replace major mechanical equipment at the end of its useful life, using energy savings to justify their replacement. The measures resulted in electricity savings of 440,351 kWh per year and a natural gas reduction of 4,168 therms per year. This represents over $67,100 of savings in annual energy costs, with an implementation cost of just under $453,000, for a payback of 5.1 years.
The client needed a focused scope of work for a campus-wide energy project.
The six recommended ECMs were:
- Upgrade display lighting with LED retrofit products
- Retrofit exterior lighting with LED lamps
- Replace 40+ year old chiller
- Install advanced building automation system and fan motor variable frequency drive controls
- Replace deteriorated cooling tower
- Upgrade primary loop pump motors
RMSC is a museum dedicated to community education in science, technology, and local history and was originally established in 1912.